Import your task templates from tools like MS Project, MS Excel, or a CSV file. To open the import dialog click the "+" button and select "Import from a file":
File to upload
Next select the file you want to import. The maximum file upload size is 10MB.
The following file types are supported:
Set parent tasks as...
There are two Import WBS Strategies:
- Default issue types - uses the default issue type for the created tasks and their parents
- Epics - in which parent tasks are converted into Epics and the default issue type is used for other tasks.
Import scope to...
Select the Project used to store the imported tasks. The project needs to be exist in advance.
To successfully perform import, you not only need a source (a file that is being uploaded) but also somewhere to put the tasks (Jira project where the imported issues are created). Tasks are visualised in the App, but they must exist somewhere in Jira itself.
- Use an existing project. You don't have to set up an empty Jira project and can use an existing one. In such case, new issues will be added to the existing ones.
- You can also easily set up a new, empty Jira project.
- If you wish, you can use an existing Jira project to perform this action ("Create with shared configuration" option) - this will result in copying of the Jira project setup (permission, notification, issue security, workflow, issue type, issue type screen, field configuration).
When importing from CSV or Excel tables, map the required fields
Possible problems and solutions
The "import from file" option is greyed out.
Scope type dictates whether the option is available. If a Box was created using a Box type with "Own" scope, the option is available.
Boxes with "Sub" and "None" scopes can't support an import from file.
Make sure that all fields have been set to "Optional" in Jira field configuration before importing a file.
The process of making this adjustment is demonstrated below:
To make things easier you may copy an existing configuration:
Name it to make things clear for other users:
Click on the field configuration name and change all items to "optional" within it:
Add a new field configuration scheme:
Make sure that the correct field configuration is associated with the scheme:
Go to the Jira project that is added to the Box scope (the project Jira issues will be copied to):
Find the field configuration:
Change the scheme:
Circular Link Dependencies:
- Circular links - strong links aren't allowed to create circular dependencies - in the App they dictate positioning of tasks and circular links could potentially create conflicts. For that reason circular relationship will prevent the import from being completed.
- Circular parent dependency
- Link with missing ID
- Missing Parent Task ID
Period check failure
Start date is later than the end date.