This article applied to BigPicture version 7.8 and earlier.
If you are using a newer see the Technical configuration articles.
This feature manifests itself when we switch to a different synchronized field:
- Task Start date
- Task End date
- Baseline start date
- Baseline end date
The checkbox which enables this feature will only appear whenever the app recognises that a change within these mentioned fields has been made.
The operation of data migration can be very time consuming and might impact the performance of our Jira environment. This is a direct result of the fact that during the migration process, the app has to recalculate and input new values to the structure of BigGantt and BigPicture and update each and every Jira issue.
Results of testing the 'Migration' feature look as follows:
During tests which we performed on Jira 7.4.0 which is stored on 3GB RAM machine with i7 2.26 Ghz processor and 256 GB memory SSD drive, a migration of 10 000 issues took about 7 minutes.
Before you start the migration process
It is crucial to make sure that following conditions are met:
- All Programs are synchronised properly with a valid status (meaning that their mapped fields: Star / End date are properly populated in Jira). This can be done by accessing every program and waiting for the synch-up to start and successfully execute.
- Jira is indexed properly ( More info on Jira indexing can be found in this Atlassian article)
- All tickets which are to be migrated need to be 100% valid, meaning all their required fields have to be filled out properly. If this condition is not met, it may cause the app to end up in an endless update progression state.
- Jira backup was performed! This step is crucial, as in unlikely case of migration failure, this is the only way to recover the environment to its previous state (More information can be found in this Atlassian article)
- Migration is being performed when Jira is not accessed by any other users than the one performing this action!
The migration may take some time (even few hours), depending on the size of the project and capabilities / specs of the device on which our environment is ran. During that time the screen does not implement and show any progression indicator, therefore to track a progress it is required to observe logs which will return an information on Migration being finished.
In case of any issues during or after the migration, please restore previously backed up instance od your Jira and contact the SoftwarePlant support team via our ServiceDesk.