Importing MS Excel file into a Gantt chart and WBS
Here's a template of a spreadsheet example and its cells allocation being formatted and ready for an import of the MS Excel file after it was firstly exported from a basic Gantt chart (to *.xlsx format).
The only Task Parameter that can be imported from the table formats (.xlsx or .ods) are:
- Summary - A name of the Task.
- Start Date, End Date - beginning and the end of the Task (should have format 'YYYY-MM-DD').
- Parent Row - ordinal number of Excels row in which the parent of the Task is placed.
- Link - a cell with dependencies / links, for example: 16FS-1 or 21SS+1, where:
- 16, 21 - pointer to Excel's row with linked task;
- FS, SS - link type:
- FS - finish to start;
- SS - start to start;
- FF - finish to finish;
- SF - start to finish.
- -1/+1 - link lag in days.
- Format your XLSX/ODS file with the previously described rules.
- Go to BigPicture/BigGantt Program manager → 'Add new Program' → 'Import data from file'
- Pefrorm steps from Program Manager#ImportingDataFromaFile and choose your XLSX/ODS file to import.
- Click 'Import MS Excel' and you will see dialog in which you should map fields from your files to task parameters
- 'Show' BigPicture/BigGantt which XLSX/ODS columns corresponds to BigPicture/BigGantt task fields.
- Voilà! Your file is imported!