This Documentation Article refers to the rework of the BigTemplate introduced in version 2.5.0. Features described here were not in place in the BigTemplate 2.4.0 and its earlier versions.
Please be aware that the BigTemplate 2.5.0 is only compatible with BigPicture 6.5.0 (or higher) and BigGantt 3.4.0 (or higher)!
Before upgrading your app, please make sure that the other two are also up to date.
When using Export features of the BigTemplate a few concepts need to be explained:
- 'CONTEXT' - a module for which export template could be applied.
- 'CONTEXT ID' - identifier of this module.
As BigTemplate provides multiple features and functionalities within the area of our other add-ons (BigGantt and BigPicture) there are 5 CONTEXTs:
- PROJECT - exporting Jira issues;
- GANTT - exporting Gantt chart from BigPicture and BigGantt;
- ROADMAP- exporting Roadmap from BigPicture;
- RISK - exporting Risks from BigPicture;
- RESOURCES - exporting Resources from BigPicture.
For a PROJECT
Please open a Jira Project → go to Project Configuration → click 'Templates' in BigTemplate section → in the adress bar you should see the following statement: "projectId=10000", where
10000 - will be your CONTEXT ID for PROJECT CONTEXT.
For a GANTT, ROADMAP, RISK, RESOURCES
Go to BigGantt/BigPicture → Manage Gantts/Manage Programs → Choose dedicated Gantt/Program → Go to Gantt/Program configuration → In the adress bar you will see the following: "program=1".
1 - will be your CONTEXT ID for GANTT, ROADMAP, RISK, RESOURCES CONTEXTs
After BigTemplate installation you will get a list of default templates available for all CONTEXTs.
On this page the only action that can be performed it to ADD templates to BigTemplate. Matching template with corresponding CONTEXT is possible from Assign Templates page.
To add template just fill 'Name', 'Description' fields, choose template's file (available file formats: *.doc, *.docx, *.xls, *.xlsx, *.odt, *.mpp, *.mpx), select which embedding you want to choose (only for *.doc and *.docx templates - refer to Customizing templates (old)) and submit your action by clicking 'Create Template' button.
- 'Load Default Templates' button will add ALL templates delivered by BigTemplate app by default to your existing templates (and not override it!). So please use it in caution if you do not wish to create multiple duplicates of one specific template type.
- BigTemplate cannot define which CONTEXT to use automatically - please test if a template is working correctly in the corresponding CONTEXT. (Please make sure that you are an admin as users will not have permission to edit templates).
- Clicking the blue arrow button right next to a template sheet will download it, as shown below with the Lend form. The on-hover recycle bin icon is used in order to delete templates.
- Clicking any of the entries will show an edit button, as well as give you the ability to upload a file again. If you upload a file this way, it will overwrite the previous entry of a given template. You can also edit the name and description if so you desire.
- You can select if BigTemplate should use the Styles feature of your word processor, or if it should use hashtags (applies only to PROJECT CONTEXT). Here's the difference in examples:
- Styles: you need to input a placeholder text, then select it and give it a style of "BT.task.duedate", then format the text
- Hashtags: You type #BT.task.duedate and format this however you like
Global configuration level
After adding template in the previous page you will be able to match this template with all possible CONTEXTs.
- choose template from 'TEMPLATE' section;
- choose CONTEXT;
- choose CONTEXTID or leave this field empty if you want to apply template to all Projects/Programs in CONTEXT.
Project configuration level
This section will show you how to match your template with PROJECT CONTEXT only. Please notice, that using previous section you will also be able to add Template to PROJECT CONTEXT.
To do so, please open a Jira Project and in the administration sidebar you will notice a BigTemplate entry ('Templates' on the left-hand side).
Accessing this screen will allow you to add new templates using the top row (type a name and the file upload button will appear). Click Assign Template next to an existing one to use it for your project.
More about Template Manager - Fixed Templates and Basic Customization
New BigTemplate allows us to customize templates which are added to the application for several modules in BigPicture and for the BigGantt. Now, whenever a user decides to export a Gantt chart, a Roadmap information, Resources or Risks arrangement, they may then display it in a style which was pre-customized to fit their needs and uploaded by the Jira Admin. For that matter it introduced us to a completely renewed, fresh Template Manager for Resources and Roadmap in BigPicture and the Gantt module in both: BigPicture and BigGantt.
Fixed Templates in the Manager.
Templates Manager (Manage Templates) consists of 14 default templates for administrator to choose from. Whenever the template is lost or deleted, admin is free to reload them all with Load Default Templates option, yet the one should note that this functionality can duplicate every pre-loaded template and not replace ones left in the stash. Therefore please bear in mind, it is always a good practice to get rid off all default templates before loading new ones to avoid unwanted conflicts within the app.
Gantt module’s default Export Manager should always have two templates predefined by the default and that includes export to: BMP, JPEG, PDF and PNG files as well as the MS Excel’s XLSX format.
Risks module will always have the MS Excel’s XLSX format enabled and for now this template is not customizable. This functionality will be added in the future releases.
Similar case goes for the Gantt’s third export format: MS Project’s MPP and MPX. Customization within these types of files has been disabled for the time being. Worry not though. Even though this functionality is simplified, it does not leave a user without option to modify it to their needs. Administrators will have a possibility to upload an MPP / MPX file with predefined settings to replace the default template in the manager, with one that would meet user’s needs.
For all other modules the XLSX customization is allowed, yet there are two basic principles the user has to follow in order not to corrupt the data within exported file:
1) The Spreadsheet and cell style can be modified as the add-on itself will only import data located in the Name Ranges at the same time ignoring the previously undefined cells. Therefore it is not recommended to edit Named Ranges themselves except for the style modification which in this case is only treated as a matter of a cosmetic upgrade.
2) Names of the sheets within the XLSX file should not be edited by any means in order for the application not to treat the source file as corrupted.
With the complete rework of BigTemplate in version 2.5.0, we've introduced you to our new Export Manager which will be accessible from both of our Gantt and WBS management panels in BigPicture and BigGantt. It will store all format templates which your Jira Administrator has predefined ('Assigning Templates' section). With our new manager you are able to export files to various image formats, a Portable Document Format (requires PhantomJS), MS Excel compatible files and two MS Project standards: MPP and MPX.
Please note that some file formats which are available for export may not be displayed by the default, thereofre it is good to make sure that our Jira Administrator had assigned all necessary file types.
More about License and Troubleshooting
The License tab, which can be found in Jira Administration → Add-ons → License in the BIGTEMPLATE section on the left-hand side, contains an amount of useful information.
Most importantly, you can check the status of your license, whether it is valid or not. Please remember that you will not be able to upload any new templates if the license has expired or did not go through validation properly.
The Troubleshooting section at the bottom can be used whenever you notice that the app does not function properly. In this case we would suggest to send Fine-grained logs to us. To do so, please click on the Fine-Grained button, then please try to reproduce conditions under which the problem occured, once more visit this section, Download the log archive and send it to us with a description of the issue via the Service Desk.