To unlock import features install BigTemplate App form the Atlassian Marketplace.
Import Issues to a Jira Project
Set up a project to which issues are imported
To successfully perform an import, you not only need a source (a file that is being uploaded) but also somewhere to put the tasks (Jira project where the imported issues are created). Tasks are visualised in the App, but they must exist somewhere in Jira itself.
- Use an existing project. You don't have to set up an empty Jira project and can use an existing one. In such case, new issues will be added to the existing ones.
- You can also easily set up a new, empty Jira project.
If you wish, you can use an existing Jira project to perform this action ("Create with shared configuration" option) - this will result in copying of the Jira project setup (permission, notification, issue security, workflow, issue type, issue type screen, field configuration).
This bar will allow us to go through a process of creating a completely new Program and Jira Project based on the settings which we import from either MS Project ( MPX / MPP ) or MS Excel ( XLS / XLSX ) files of which 'Sample Projects' can be found below:
Sample MS Project structure:
When importing from MS Project or MS Excel to BigGantt, it's possible to change the representation of imported project in our applications. For now you can choose only from 2 possible Import WBS Strategies: a 'Structure Based On Tasks' and a 'Structure Based On Epics'. Once we pick one of these two options we will be introduced to the Basic data screen as in every previous case, though in here we will see an additional option which allows us to Browse a file from which we would like to import.
Importing MS Project file into a Gantt chart
The following fields from a MS Project files can be imported to Gantt module:
Importing MS Excel file into a Gantt chart and WBS
Here's a template of a spreadsheet example and its cells allocation being formatted and ready for an import of the MS Excel file after it was firstly exported from a basic Gantt chart (to *.xlsx format).
The only Task Parameter that can be imported from the table formats (.xlsx or .ods) are:
- Summary - A name of the Task.
- Start Date, End Date - beginning and the end of the Task (should have format 'YYYY-MM-DD').
- Parent Row - ordinal number of Excels row in which the parent of the Task is placed.
- Link - a cell with dependencies / links, for example: 16FS-1 or 21SS+1, where:
- 16, 21 - pointer to Excel's row with linked task;
- FS, SS - link type:
- FS - finish to start;
- SS - start to start;
- FF - finish to finish;
- SF - start to finish.
- -1/+1 - link lag in days.
Format your XLSX/ODS file with the previously described rules.
- Go to BigPicture/BigGantt Program manager → 'Add new Program' → 'Import data from file'
- 'Basic Data' - enter the required information:
'Browse' a 'File To Import' (Please bear in mind that the file cannot be over 50 MB)
- Privacy Settings ('Visible To Everyone' or 'Visible Only To Me')
- Choose an existing Jira project (you can use an empty project you've set up beforehand - you can't create a new project during an import process)
- Click 'Import MS Excel' and you will see dialog in which you should map fields from your files to task parameters
- 'Show' BigPicture/BigGantt which XLSX/ODS columns corresponds to BigPicture/BigGantt task fields.
- Voilà! Your file is imported!
Structure BasedOn Tasks
Structure BasedOn Epics